How Slingshot is working towards a greener and more sustainable future
“There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.”
Marshall McLuhan, Philosopher
We believe that everyone has a part to play in ensuring that our world is a safe and sustainable place to live, whether that be environmental or economical sustainability. Tech companies can be massive contributers to the decline of the environment: “Researchers in 2020 highlighted that up to 3.5% of carbon emmissons will come from information processing and transmission”
“Once you start down the dark path, forever it will dominate your destiny”
Yoda, Star Wars Episode V
Dark Data (data that is not used to derive insights or decision making) has come to dominate companies, with up to 52% of all information an organisation produces and stores is dark data. Dark data alone caused the release of about 6 million tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere in 2020. In a digital era, simply improving the sustainability and greeness of our tangible assets doesn’t account for every way in which we pollute the world.
So what are we doing about it? Read below about our pledges, action plans and future goals to see the sustainability journey we are embarking on and what you can do to help along the way to become vital, and sustainable, members of the Slingshot family.
- Become Net Zero by 2025
- Move to renewable energy resources
- Recycle, reuse and reduce dark data
- Demonstrate the value of data in the circular economy
- Continue to support Environmental and Economic Sustainability initiatives
Always looking to learn.
We know our strengths and weaknesses when it comes to our sustainable approaches and we are always the first to put our hands up and admit when we are doing something wrong. That is why our action plan has got just as much R&D included as it has tangible steps so that our sustainability journey not only affects the projects we take but how we design and plan our platform.
- Developing automated archive techniques to reduce footprint of dark data
- Bringing intelligent structure to all client’s data to discover value of data
- Continuing research with the University of Leeds and leading Cloud providers on energy efficient computing
- Building carbon (& other environmental) insights into every part of the platform
- Supporting projects that help such endeavours and increase our own awareness and understanding
We need one thing to make this work:
Climate Change, sustainability, Net Zero need one key element to work: You.
We all need to accept responsibility and work together to help each other, and ourselves, make changes that not only work but last. Get started on your sustainability journey today by joining Slingshot’s platform and see what we’ve got in store for creating a more sustainable future…
- Supporting us is supporting the drive to sustainable solutions
- If you have an idea to improve sustainability and fight climate change, reach out and we’ll see what we can do to help you realise that project
- Join the Slingshot platform, reduce the carbon footprint of your data and discover its true value